180g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
75g melted butter
75g corn oil
6 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g caster sugar
1 tsp Grand Marnier
1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
6 tsp cold water
360ml cold heavy whipping cream
45g confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
300g fresh blueberries for decoration
To make the cake:
1. Sift cake flour, baking powder and 75g of sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Mix egg yolk, butter and cornoil together and then pour into flour mixture and stir till smooth.
3. Whisk egg whites till slightly frothy, then pour in 100g caster sugar gradually and whisk till medium peak.
4. Fold egg white with egg yolk mixture and then pour into a prepared 9″ round cake tin and bake in preheated oven at 175°C for about 45 mins or till cooked.
5. Leave cake to cool on wire rack and then slice cake into 3 slices.
To make syrup:
1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring the water to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then stir in Grand Marnier.
To make whipped cream:
1. Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let stand for 5 minutes (do not stir). Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat until slightly thickened. Then, while beating slowly, gradually pour the gelatin into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the mixture at high speed until stiff.
To assemble the cake:
1. Place one sponge layer cut-side up on a cake board or serving plate and lightly crush the surface with the simple syrup. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the cake layer and arrange the blueberries over the surface. Spread an additional layer of whipped cream over the berries. Brush the cut-side of the second layer with the simple syrup and place it over the first layer. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate as desired and garnish with the remaining berries.